With billboard ads on every Florida road and TV ads running every 10 minutes, figuring out if you need an accident lawyer, finding the right one, and figuring out how much it will cost can be purr-fectly confusing.
After 40 years and thousands of clients, we’ve tried to answer these key questions:
Before Hiring an Accident Attorney: Why? Who? and How Much?
WHY? Do I really need an accident lawyer?
“I got an offer from the insurance company and I get to keep it all…so why do I need an accident attorney?”
You don’t. Just remember that when it comes to insurance companies, they are not your friend and you are not in good hands.
The insurance company makes their (generous) profit from charging you the most for insurance and paying you as little as possible. And they have a lot of lawyers on their payroll. Hiring an experienced accident attorney to fight for you levels the playing field.
It all comes down to a matter of dollars and cents:
Even after the average 32% attorney fee, accident victims ended up with net payouts that were nearly three times higher, on average, than what those unrepresented received.
These results aren’t surprising. Accident attorneys know what it takes to build a solid personal injury claim, gather evidence, and deal with insurance adjusters.
WHO? Who should I hire?
With the proliferation of accident attorney ads, finding the right attorney for your case can be confusing. Every firm has Google reviews, tons of client testimonials, and has settled million-dollar claims (well the good ones anyway).
So how is anyone supposed to find the best accident attorney to represent them?
After representing thousands of claimants for close to 40 years, our advice is to ask for referrals from trusted contacts and check out the reviews and their results. But when done, pay attention when you make that first call or come in for your free consultation. Here are some tips to consider:
- Did you speak with an attorney or a ‘client specialist’? (a cute name for an intake operator/salesperson)
- Did you find out the name of the attorney that will represent you? (Some firms assign an attorney only after you sign)
- How long did the attorney speak with you?
- Did you get the sense that he/she was rushing you to sign the retainer agreement without getting all the facts?
- Did the attorney listen to you, ask questions, gather information or did they seem to speak from a script?
- Did the attorney give you an honest assessment of your claims worth or were you made to feel as though you hit the jackpot?
Pay attention to your initial take on the firm. If you feel as though you were rushed, pushed through a system, or couldn’t even speak with an attorney, keep looking.
And always call at least 3 attorneys* before making a decision.
AND HOW MUCH?
PLEASE DON’T BE SWAYED by Attorneys Who Tell You ‘It’s Free’ or “You Only Pay If We Win’!
Accident attorneys never charge a fee in Florida. Your attorney gets paid only when and if you win your case. You will not pay for medical records, court costs, or expert witnesses.
It’s really that simple.
* Then call Hoffman, Larin & Agnetti P.A. at 305-653-5555 or email us at [email protected]. With close to 40 years of fighting for accident and medical malpractice victims in South Florida, we know what it takes. 95% of cases settle before going to court but we are trial attorneys and we will do whatever it takes to get you the best result.
Experience and Results matter!